- Object-oriented, compiled language
- Based on Java
- CLI (Common Language Infrastructure)
- C# is comparable to Java
- IL code (Intermediate Language code) is comparable to Java byte code
- CLR (Common Language Runtime) is comparable to JVM (Java Virtual Machine)
Advantages of C# over Java
Disadvantages of C# relative to Java
- Greater type neutrality (helpful for implementing templates)
- Greater language neutrality (better language interoperability)
- Always compiled to assembly language before executing; never interpreted
- Allows additional declarative information to be added to classes, methods, etc.
- Better support for Windows-based standards
- CLR is only available for Windows (no multiplatform support)
- Less support for non-Windows-based standards
- C# is case sensitive.